December 31, 2016
Happy New Year! Thank you to everyone who has visited the site, communicated with me about the 2200, or is keeping the 2200 flame burning (or at least flickering).
It has been a long year of scanning and more scanning, thanks to Mike Bahia's generous contribution of hundreds of pounds of Wang documents. I'm about 80% of the way through that pile, but then I need to start working on capturing the various floppy disks, hard drives, and tapes to see what treasures are hidden on them. If you have a working Wang system that is capable of reading cartridge tape drives or compact cassette digital tapes, please let me know, as otherwise I'll have to build hardware to do it myself.
After finishing the scanning and capturing the digital assets, perhaps there will still be time to return to improving the 2200 emulator before 2017 expires. A good chunk of it is done (a 2336 terminal emulation is complete); next is to add MXE peripheral emulation to connect to the emulated terminal(s). That emulation will be at the protocol level, rather than emulating the Z80 and peripherals on the MXE card.
Here is the latest batch of documents that I was able to knock out during my week of Christmas vacation. Some of them are from binders of notes and memos that Mike Bahia collected over the years. There really isn't a great way to organize those, so I simply scanned it all, added a bookmark at each tab divider in the binder, and wrapped up each binder as a pdf.
- 2200 General Information #1 (a binder of random 2200-related documents)
- 2200 General Information #2 (another binder of random 2200-related documents)
- Wang Welcomes You To Customer Engineering Field Service
- comletter, Oct. 1979
- Wang 603, 703, 633, 733 2203 Paper Tape Readers, Service Bulletin No. 48
- Facit Model 4070 Tape Punch with Addenda Service Instruction
- (2230) Diablo Model 44B Disk Drive Maintenance Manual (with revisions A/B/C)
- (2230) Diablo Series 40 Disk Drives FIeld Level Maintenance Guide (preliminary)
- Information common to 43A/44A Diablo hard disk system
- Wang 2230 and 2260 Disk Drive Various Notes and Memos
- DM 50/300 Multifunctional Matrix Printer Data Sheet
- PM018 Daisy Printer Data Sheet
- 2270 Diskette Drive Data Sheet
- Device Address Guide for Wang Systems
- NEC Winchester Disk Drive Maintenance Guide, Model D2257
- NEC Winchester Hard Disk Drive information
- Wang Cartridge Module Disk Drive CDC MOdel 9448 CMD (Phoenix Drive) Field-Level Maintenance Manual
- Wang internal memos on Shugart 8" floppy, Shugart 8" hard disk, and Quantum Q2000 hard disk
- 2280 Phoenix Cartridge Module Disk (CMD) Drive Notes and Memos
- Racal-Vadic VA3450 Series Modem Installation/Operation Manual
- 2200 Utilities Updates and Fixes
- 2229 Archiving Cartridge Tape Drive Notes and Memos
- 2250 Input/Output Interface, Service Bulletin No. 58
- Telecommunications Notes and Memos